News and Notifications
Suspending After Hours Services
What this means for you:
We will see scheduled small animal appointments in the clinic:Tuesday-Friday between 8:00am - 5:00pm
Large animal appointments will be scheduled:
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Dr. Shannon will no longer be available for scheduled appointments on Friday
Moving forward we will be discontinuing our small animal after hours
emergency service. In doing this we will be able to devote ourselves fully to
providing exceptional care during regular hours.
Our after hours calls will continue to be answered by our triage service. The
licensed veterinary nurses will assess, offer advice, and discuss your pet’s
condition. However, our clinic staff will not be available during closed business
hours. The triage nurses will determine the next step in care. This may include a
visit on the following business day or referral to Kauai’s nearest 24/7 referral
center, Veterinary Emergency Referral Center (VERC), on Oahu. We will ensure
that appointments continue to be made available during regular working hours
for cases of urgent nature. We urge you to call at the first sign of symptoms,
which in many cases may prevent a condition from worsening to a point that
after hours emergency care is required. We will continue to make appointments
available during regular working hours for cases of urgent nature.
We understand that transfer to Oahu may seem unattainable. It is actually quite
seamless. We routinely partner with VERC on emergency cases. Their team of
specialists ensure our patients are getting the best care possible in a state of the
art 24 hour facility.
Getting to Oahu:
- Flights are available from 6:00 am - 8:10 pm daily
- Pets less than 25 pounds may travel in the cabin. Click here for info:
- Pets over 25 pounds traveling as checked baggage with the owner on the
Click here for info: https://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/657
Travel arrangements can be made by calling: 1-800-367-5320
- Pets that will traveling unaccompanied: Call 1-877-HA-CARGO
Getting to VERC:
- Charley's Taxi Oahu - (877) 531-1333 - Allows dogs for a fee.
- Paws & Claws - (808) 384-4552 - Pet taxi service. Will pick up unaccompanied pets and deliver to VERC.
What to expect when your pet is a patient at VERC:
What you can do:
- Monitor your pets closely and reach out at the first sign of symptoms.
- Have a pet carrier/travel approved crate on hand should you need to travel to VERC unexpectedly.
- Have a first aid kit on hand for treating minor injuries at home. We have first aid kits available for purchase in the clinic.
We are hopeful this is a temporary situation and we continue to work diligently to explore all options to support the needs of the pets of Kauai. Thank you for your continued support and understanding.
Dr. Cindy, Dr. Shannon, and Team