If you are planning to bring an animal to Kaua’i, you should know that our state governs the import of all animals to keep Hawaii rabies-free. Kaua’i North Shore Animal Clinic has been approved by the State of Hawaii to inspect animals at the Lihue Airport for Direct Release to owners who have met the State Requirements. Following the steps below avoids a lengthy quarantine of your pet.
Follow these steps, and enjoy your stay on Kaua’i. See checklist from the State of Hawaii.
Step One: Permitted Pets
First, view complete information about permitted and restricted animals here.
Here is an interactive pdf that can help walk you through the steps.
Step Two: Microchipping and Rabies Test
- Your pet must have been vaccinated at least twice for rabies in its lifetime.
- These rabies vaccines must have been administered more than 30 days apart.
- The most recent rabies vaccination was done: Not more than the vaccine’s licensed booster interval listed on the manufacturer’s label; and
- Not less than 30 days before the pet’s date of arrival in Hawaii.
- Have your pet microchipped (if you haven’t already) and have your veterinarian draw blood for the OIE-FAVN rabies test.
- Your pet’s bloodwork will be sent to Kansas State University, and in 30 days, you can check your pet’s test status (http://www.ksvdl.org/rabies-laboratory/favn-test/Rabies-Search/) using his or her microchip number.
- Check with your airline to make sure you meet all of their requirements prior to and during travel
Step Three: Direct Release Request Form
Please fill out and submit our Direct Release Request Form.
Step Four: Paperwork and Communication
Complete and submit the following paperwork to:
Hawaii Department of Agriculture
Animal Quarantine Station
99-951 Halawa Valley Street
Aiea, Hawaii 96701-5602
- Fill out Dog and cat import form (https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/2018/09/AQS-279_8.31.2018_no.4.pdf)
- Your pet’s two most recent rabies vaccination certificates (originals)
- $165 money order or cashier’s check per pet (no personal checks or credit cards) made out to the Department of Agriculture
- Flight information
- Letter requesting Direct Release
- Be sure to consider the time required for the NIIP to be delivered during planning.
- Enclose a self-addressed prepaid envelope for an overnight carrier (example FedEx, UPS, etc.) that provides tracking if you want your permit shipped faster. Envelopes that are not prepaid by the owner will not be used.
- The Neighbor Island Inspection Permit (NIIP) will be mailed by the State once documents are received and the pet qualifies.
- The original Neighbor Island Inspection Permit is needed to board the aircraft and must accompany the dog or cat on the aircraft. The NIIP shall be submitted to the inspector upon arrival in Hawaii.
Step Five: Health Certificate
Within 10 days of your travel, have your veterinarian complete a health certificate. You’ll need both the health certificate and your pet’s inspection permit to board the plane.
A veterinarian must treat the pet for ticks with a product containing a long-acting product labeled to kill ticks (Revolution® is not acceptable) within 14 days of arrival and the product name and date of treatment must be recorded on the pet’s health certificate. Approved products: https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/main/tick-treatments/
Step Six: Airport Inspection
A representative from our clinic will greet you at Lihue airport. We will conduct a brief (15 minutes or so) inspection, collect your health certificate and permit, and scan your pet’s microchip.
Step Seven: Welcome
We are pleased to have helped make your travel Kaua’i with your pet as seamless as possible. If your pet needs any medical attention on Kaua’i, please give us a call. Aloha!
Prices are as follows:
|First Pet||$400 and up||Additional Pet $225|
|Current or Returning Pet||$275 and up||Additional Pet $225|
|Direct Release Saturday or Sunday||Add $100|
|Direct Release State or Federal Holiday||Add $200|
|Direct Release before 8:00 or after 5:00||Add $100|
|Transport from Airport||within 10 miles $100||within 20 miles $150||over 20 miles $200|
|Booking less than 30 days prior to arrival||add $100|
|Cancellations prior to two weeks before arrival||Full refund less $100 processing fee|
|Cancellations within two weeks of arrival||50% refund|